Waking Up

5.09.2007

Let's get physical... therapy

This morning at 7:30am I started my physical therapy treatment for my back. When I arrived my pain on a scale of 1 to 10 was a 1. After Doug- my physical therapist had me doing certain movements, my pain spiked to a 5. He was able to tell me good news and bad. He established from my evaluation that the sciatica was stemming from a bulging disk in my lower back. Well, the good news is that I have continually gotten better over the last few weeks meaning that it is healing itself. Bad news is that it could be a recurrent problem. So, we established a body position that allows me to be comfortable since it takes the pressure off my lower spine.

My position is similar to this one only I prop up on my elbows and rest my chin in my hands. I am supposed to do this during the day, every 2 hours for 5 minutes each time. Talk about crazy. But it really does ease the pain and pressure.
At the end of my visit he used the electrodes on my lower back and also covered me with a heating pad. That was a wonderful end to a painful evaluation.
I will be in physical therapy 2 x a week for the next 4 weeks according to my therapist.

1 Comments:

At 7:54 PM , Blogger kellyk said...

well good to know he at least knows what's going on! and whatever helps. i hope it gets better soon!! nothing sucks like back pain. ugh. i feel for you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home