Waking Up

4.26.2007

Change the subject, will ya?

OK, so Joel has brought it to my attention that I blog more about Josh being away on trips and how I am missing him and such than I do about anything else. Well then, let me change the subject.

I haven't wanted to post about this topic just because I was afraid that some how word would get back to my boss. I am quitting my job. I don't know when, but I am certainly looking for a new job. As I posted previously our office recently moved from Lowell to Fayetteville. Well in doing so, my commute has increased from 15 minutes to almost 45 minutes. I use a tank of gas a week, and I have to pack my lunch or eat out everyday, since I cannot go home for lunch. Now, the commute may not sound "unrealistic" to most of you, but you have to understand the layout of Northwest Arkansas. Let me show you a map.



Now if you look at the map you will see that there is an interstate (540) running North and South through the entire area. The distance between that northern most city, Little Flock and the southern most city, Fayetteville is only 30.5 miles (according to Yahoo! maps). However because of traffic it takes close to 45 minutes to drive that stretch of road. This is one of the biggest reasons I am looking for another job. I really don't want to drive more than 15 minutes to get to work everyday. There are too many places to work closer to home, to have to drive 45 minutes to get to work everyday.

Now, without going in to too much detail, the other reason stands to a "personality clash" with my boss. I have worked for him for over 2 years now, and just in the last 6-8 months I have seen a change in him that most certainly has not been for the better. About 3 weeks ago, I sat down with him to discuss the concerns I had as an employee, and the result has not been much different than pre-meeting.

I am not happy with my current situation and I am looking to change it. However, I am not seeing much results from my perseverance towards finding something. This has led me to question whether God wants me to stay put and finish the work he has for me here. Maybe his purpose for me here has not yet been fulfilled. I just don't know. Josh and I had a really good talk the other night about delighting in the things you do. Well I have not delighted in this job for a long, long time. But how do I change that? How do I set aside the concerns I have as an employee, and just serve the Lord whole heartedly through this job? I have always heard "Do everything as unto the Lord". I feel like I have kept up my values as an employee and not checked out as I am waiting to find something else. I feel like I have been a good steward of my position.

So, that brings me to the next sub topic of this post:
My calling and happiness.
I have decided that for the first time in my married life, I am going to take a job according to my passions, my interests and not because of the salary, perks, or benefits. I have had to truly look into myself to determine what will make me happy. I am totally at a loss when it comes to my life's calling. I know I am passionate about music, art, drama, anything that has to do with creative arts. I have tried to find a job working for places that are based in any of those fields, but to no avail. Then I began thinking what kind of field do I want to be in besides that. Well I have come up with a few that I think might very well suit me:

Hospitality- I love to make people feel important and treat them with great kindness.

Human Resources- I am very much a people person. I have such a strong feeling towards the rights of employees in a company. I want to break into this field very badly. I would definitely go back to school to get a Human Resource Business degree.

Medical Office- Since I am people person, I think I would fit very well as an Administrative person in a medical office. I would have interaction with the patients, doctors, and all the health care professionals.

I have had a few interviews, employment testings, etc. Each time I have had them, I have prayed that God would make it completely clear whether the position was right or not. So far I have not felt the tug on my heart for any of those positions.

Please join with me in prayer to find God's will in all of this. I am ready to let him be the Big God that he is. I have gotten impatient a few times through all of this, but for the most part I have been completely reliant on him to do what he does best. I heard a saying the other day that has been very profound: "God made me, He can keep me, and then He will take me". Let that one sit for a while! Amazing really, how simple it is, but yet it means so much.

Sorry for the long post. I just figured I would share what has been going on with me lately.

3 Comments:

At 10:19 AM , Blogger Joel said...

Glad to hear what's going on. His ways are not our ways, nor His thoughts our thoughts. At the very least there's lessons to be had in learning to wait on the Lord.

Carry on...

 
At 2:26 PM , Blogger Kim said...

i'll be praying for you!

 
At 3:03 PM , Blogger kellyk said...

i think it's cute you miss your hubby when he's gone. geez, joel is such a jerk. ;-) haha

i will really be praying for you. i want you to be happy with what you do. and i don't think god wants you wasting that gas;-)

i think you would do really well in a dr's office, or something similar, especially if kids were involved. you are so great, and kids love you. and it makes parents feel great to know you are into their kids.

we had a great time the other afternoon. i want another smoothie BAD! call me anytime you want to shop!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home