Waking Up

6.20.2005

2 weeks and counting

In exactly 2 weeks from today, we will all be seeing the gang again. Summer Camp is rounding the corner quickly. I am sooooooooo excited to be coming home for a little while. Josh and I really like it here, but I miss my "girls" from back home. I am also excited about being off of work for 1 entire week and and a day. I like my job and the guys I work with, but I am ready to have a break and hang out.

I was talking to my boss, Randy this morning and he told me his teenage son just returned from a "Young Life" Camp. Matthew, his son said that upon arriving at the camp, his cell phone was taken away, but get this... they were allowed to keep there cigarettes. The camp had "smoke Pits" where the students could go and puff away. I realize that it is important to meet teens or anyone for that matter where they are, in order for them to get a true impact from God, but allowing teens to smoke at a camp is going a little far. What if some of those teens bought cigarettes right before the camp and their parents didn't know that they smoked? What if the legal students were allowing the under age ones to "bum a few"? It bothers me as a former youth leader that they would allow such a thing. I honestly believe after 5 years of being involved in a summer camp, that teens really want to have rules and guidelines. Don't get me wrong here, they want to have freedom to be themselves, and have fun, but by having guidelines they have something to keep them focused on the important issues in life, the things that really matter. Just recently in one of Casey's messages ( the Pastor of our Church) he was talking about the guidelines of the Bible. Basically what it boils down to is...
  • Do you look at the rules or guidelines of Christianity as a list of things you can't do or as assistance to protect you from the things that could hurt you, your family, or your relationship with God?

I thought about this long and hard after that sermon. I need to look at rules as a guide to keep me on track. As a protection from things that will cause me harm, and could possibly hinder my walk with God.

Ponder that thought!

See you in Michigan very soon!

2 Comments:

At 12:55 PM , Blogger Larry said...

We are very much looking forward to seeing you two...and I agree. I think that is going a bit far with the whole cigarette thing. We need to allow them to be themselves and not feel awkward but we also need to create a safe atmosphere.

 
At 10:23 PM , Blogger Kim said...

aw. i am so excited about camp. i've been looking forward to seeing you guys.

see you there! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home