Waking Up

8.26.2005

Teaching and Learning

Well, I had my first college class last night since I quit back in '99 from Clark State. I am taking an Intro to Computer Info course, basically it is MS Office 2003 training course. I am, as most of you know, in the Administrative field and I use the 5 programs of Office 2003 everyday(well, all except Powerpoint). I have about 5 years of experience with these software programs. I didn't want to take this class since I figured it would be boring since I know most of it already.
But....
Last night I went and we started in by taking pre-tests of all the programs...Word, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint. I finished my Word Pre-test before everyone and I asked our professor if I should continue on. He said "You're done already?" Then he preceded to tell the 16 other students in the class that I had finished my Word test and got almost all of them right... then he said "I think I found my Teaching Assistant". I just thought he was kidding. I stayed after class to check with him about it though, because during the class he actually asked me to help another student. So I talked to him about it and he said that I seem to have more experience than the other students and he would like me to help answer questions and such during the class. We have to come to some agreement on what I expect to get out of the class and what my role will be. He also said he may have me work from a higher level book just to really stretch myself to learn more. I am supposed to call him next week to set up a time to meet with him to discuss my role and such. I am so excited about this. I feel like for the first time in a long time, I know how to do something and somebody knows it!

I have decided that if this is any indication of what my college experience will be while I am working toward my Associates degree, then I will love it!

1 Comments:

At 9:04 AM , Blogger Joel said...

I'm glad to hear that. Just a word of caution, the first time you get a class where things are as great...keep your chin up. There will definitely be ups and downs to the whole academic process. Hopefully your's are mostly "ups".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home